Once again Greetings from Editor. This is the continued part of series Why Photography? If you haven’t read it, I suggest you do read that article first. Today we are talking about the specializations in Photography/Types of Photography and what are the duties, qualifications and average salary in India. SO let’s begin.
So, When you desire to be a photographer, first comes in your mind which are the top photography colleges in India and what are the career options in photography in India. You may also search Photography career options after 12th or career in photography after 10th. We have an answer ready for you.
You don’t have to worry about career options in photography, as we have covered it for you.
The major career options in photography in India are as follows:
A unique kind of journalism where images are employed to deliver a story. Day by day this is gaining more and more importance. Ability to convey the emotions along with the story is an added ingredient. A photojournalist has the power to shape the data in any manner he wants to. Presentation of genuine content is a substantial factor. The objective is to capture the moment at the right place and time. Do make the viewers think that they are a part of it. Photojournalism is a theme that covers a broad area and is not at all confined.
Modes of Photojournalism
- Media photojournalism
- Street photojournalism
- Portrait photojournalism
- Event photojournalism
Any information in the form of still images or motion pictures that conveys the details about a subject and that has a news value can be categorized under media photojournalism. It isn’t anything about the best composition, technical details or the beauty of the frame but it is all about witnessing an incident.
Careers in Photography ; Media journalism can be further classified into three based on the mode of transmission:
- Print journalism – for the print media like newspapers, magazines, journals etc.
- Video journalism – for television channels and can be anything related to news, sports, entertainment, infotainment etc.
- Web journalism – solely for the journalism purposes over the internet. This can also be termed as online journalism.
The kind of journalism that brings in front of the audience about the life in every nuke and corner of the world.
Photographing people’s faces that talk about their emotions, feelings, situations, the status of mind etc. is the primary essence.
Duties as a Photojournalist
- To deliver the genuine news.
- To be at the right place at the right time.
- Know about the current social scenario.
Qualifications to be a Photojournalist
- One who is opting a career in photojournalism must have completed 10thand +2.
- A degree in either of Journalism or Mass/Media Communication is preferred.
- Must have done at least one year of photography course.
- Street or portrait journalism requires a min of 10thpass as a basic qualification.
- A person who has completed photojournalism can apply for jobs nothing less than at media publications.
The average salary for a photojournalist in India: 3,36,000 per year (28,000/-month)
Lens recommended: 24-70mm, 85mm, 70-200mm
B. Wedding and Event photography
The mode of photography deals with the still or video coverage of an event that varies from wedding, baptism, birthdays, funerals, parties, engagements, award ceremonies and other such functions. Photography of guests and happenings at an event is the core objective. The framing of irreplaceable moments and turning them into pictures is what that defines a wedding photographer. The responsibility involved in grasping once in a lifetime event is very high. Candid photography is one of the key weapons for the wedding photographers.
Duties as a wedding photographer
- To be at the location much before the scheduled time.
- Must be aware of the important people attending.
- A proper know-how of the surroundings.
- Knowledge about the list of events that are going to take place.
Qualifications to be a wedding photographer
He/She needs a minimum of 10th completion. Higher qualifications make the job easy and convenient when it comes to job undertaking among people of higher standards. Well-built knowledge of editing software is a must. Proper lighting arrangement and the use of lighting accessories make the photographs more attractive and distinguished.
The average salary for a wedding photographer in India: 3,24,000 per year (27,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 24-70mm, 16-35mm Ultra Wide Angle Zoom, 70-200mm
C. Product and Food Photography
As more and more advanced commodities are introduced daily into our market, the future scope of photography lies within here. The competition for survival among the companies is getting tough and the only way to win is to commercialize the product in the best possible manner. Getting the finest details, proper use of lighting, determining the background, knowledge of camera angles, focus, and depth of field are the points to be considered. Commercial photography, E-commerce photography, Table-Top photography are some other names used today.
Duties as a product or food photographer
- Deep knowledge of studio light and other lighting accessories.
- Creative ideas for commercialization.
- Proper awareness about the current market trends.
Qualifications to be a commercial photographer
Perfect knowledge in lighting and post-processing techniques is a necessity to be a commercial photographer. The completion of a certification course in photography and the minimum qualification required to apply for the course can get you a job as a commercial photographer.
The average salary for a commercial photographer in India : 2,88,000 per year (24,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 24-105mm, 90mm or 100mm
D. Fashion/Editorial Photography
The fashion industry is the backbone for many of the leading economic powers of the world. Celebrity photography is one that needs no further introduction. It is purely dedicated to enhancing the fashion outlook and other accessories associated with the fashion world. Over the passage of time, the field has developed its unique way of adding beauty with clothes, models, accessories with the overrated use of new storylines, exotic locations, and camera techniques.
Duties as a fashion/editorial photographer
- Should be aware of the latest trends in the fashion world.
- Think about creative ideas for the best marketing purpose.
- Must be able to keep a good relationship with other people especially the models coming in for the photo shoot
Qualifications to be a fashion photographer
- As your skill in photography is being tested a professional degree or diploma in the art of photography is more than appropriate to pursue your career in fashion photography.
- Communication skill is a must as you have to interact with a lot of people during the shoot.
The average salary for a fashion photographer in India: 3,24,000 per year (27,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 24-70mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70-200mm
E. Wildlife Photography
Photographing wild animals in their natural habitats is something that involves a little bit of risk. Posing a threat to their own survival and a willingness to thrive any harsh conditions with sheer passion for the natural fauna brings out the wildlife photographer in you.
Duties as a Wildlife Photographer
- Should be ready to face any threats and dangers.
- Coming up with any weather makes you a good wildlife photographer.
- Do not care about the money you have to spend on safaris and other trekking rides.
Qualifications to be a wildlife photographer
- Minimum knowledge about the behavior of the wild animals is the first thing.
- Proper use of camera and ease in the change of settings should be handy.
- Proper education in prestigious institute which teaches specially Wildlife & Nature.
The average salary for a wildlife photographer in India: 2,52,000 per year (21,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 100-400mm, 150-600mm, 70-300mm.
F. Medical Photography
The documentation of medical and surgical procedures is not an easy job as one thinks it would be. Photography of medical equipment and the specimens need utmost care and attention.
Duties as a Medical photographer
- To use the best of his knowledge in photography and in the medical field simultaneously.
- Be the helping hand in case of any emergency.
- Must be able to present the images say, one at the time of surgery in a pleasant way for the client.
- Should not perform anything against the medical ethics.
Qualifications to be a Medical Photographer
- Need to be a graduate (more likely to be in the medical field) so that he/she can have a minimum knowledge of the procedures.
- Must be thorough with the photography techniques used exclusively in the medical photography.
The average salary for a medical photographer in India: 3,00,000 per year (25,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 50mm, 18-135mm.
G. Automobile Photography
The automobile sector is yet another boosting industry of the modern era. This photography delivers the latest updates in the body design, mechanics, and other features.
Duties as an Automobile Photographer
- Must be up-to-date with the automobile industry.
- Should be able to think from the viewer’s point of view.
- Awareness about the market trend and proper selling strategy must be applied.
Qualifications to be an Automobile photographer
- Communicative skills, especially in the English language, is required.
- A bachelor’s degree in either photography or photojournalism will do the rest of the job.
- Maintaining a portfolio on automobile sector alone covering all the latest upgradations will be an added advantage.
The average salary for an automotive photographer in India: 2,64,000 per year (22,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 50mm, 18-55mm.
H. Architecture and Interior Photography
Skilled techniques and use of specialized cameras make an architectural photographer stand out from the rest of the bloodline. The proper application of perspectives plays a significant role in here.
Duties as an Architecture and Interior photographer
- Customer satisfaction is of prior importance.
- Awareness about the latest trends in design and construction.
- Customer service skill is a worthy requirement.
Qualifications to be an Architecture and Interior photographer
- A degree in photography is suggested as it may expand the career opportunities to a higher level.
- Deep knowledge in editing techniques as the finest detailing of the image will be significant in the long run.
The average salary for an architecture and interior photographer in India: 2,88,000 per year (24,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 17mm, 24mm, 50mm, wide angle lenses, fisheye lenses.
I. Travel and Nature Photography
The most trending form of photography on the internet and other social media sites. One who likes to travel and explore are the ones showing greater interest in this genre.
Duties as a Travel and Nature photographer
- Should not disturb the nature in any possible manner.
- Always respect the traditions and culture of the respective places in the way of your journey.
- Avoid taking photographs that involves way too much risk to capture.
- Social media presence is a must.
Qualifications to be a Travel and Nature photographer
- An in-depth knowledge about the camera is more than what is required to be a travel and nature photographer.
- Skills for communicating with people using signs and symbols is adequate.
- And a Diploma or Certificate course which teaches the skills required for travel photography would be preferable.
The average salary a travel and nature photographer in India: 2,16,000 per year (18,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 70-200mm, 50mm, 18-135mm, wide angle lenses, fisheye lenses.
J. Sports Photography
A brisk and effective way of capturing is what sports photography demands.
Duties as a Sports photographer
- Time management is a crucial factor.
- Best Knowledge in the sports field is a must.
- Should be up-to-date with the developments in technology as the industry is getting more and more competitive.
- Must be good at instructing or following instructions.
Qualifications to be a Sports Photographer
- A degree in photography or photojournalism is always preferred.
- Basic knowledge of the sport and effective communication skill is a must.
- He/she must be an active learner.
The average salary a sports photographer in India: 2,88,000 per year (24,000/- month)
Lens recommended: 70-200mm, 400mm.
So these were the major careers in photography in India you can choose. In the next article, we will guide you about the top 10 photography colleges in India.
*cover image credits : Shubham S Bhave, Gujarat.
The images used in this article are captured by students of Creative hut institute of photography, Kerala. We have rightful permission from the college.